Storm and Power Report 8.30pm – Hawkesbury worst hit - almost 6000 properties without power
The storm that passed through this evening may have been brief but it caused a lot of damage, especially to power lines, leading to almost 6000 Hawkesbury properties without power, and some will not be reconnected before morning.
Affected suburbs are:
Wilberforce (1089), Hobartville (834), Londonderry (753), Ebenezer (536), Castlereagh (511), Oakville (407), Agnes Banks (368), Maroota (342), Pitt Town (324), Yarramundi (302) and Lower Portland (290).
Endeavour emergency crews are responding to power outages affecting 18,500 customers in total due to the storm that has passed through the Endeavour Energy network this evening.
Lightning and damaging winds have brought down trees and branches over power lines across a broad area.
The majority of customers without power are in the Hawkesbury region but parts of the Blue Mountains, Lithgow and Western Sydney are also affected.
“The current focus of our emergency crews is to patrol and make safe storm damage,” an Endeavour spokesman told the Post.
“They will then begin switching around faults to restore power to as many customers as quickly as possible.
“It is expected that some customers will be without power overnight, particularly as much of the damage is in remote areas.”
Customers with home medical equipment who have lost power due this storm are asked to check their battery supply and consider acting on their back up plan.
Other areas affected are:
· Blue Mountains - Winmalee (2463), Springwood (950), and Glenbrook (591)
· Lithgow - Wallerawang (950), Lithgow (468) and Little Hartley (365)
· Western Sydney - Tregear (454) and Lethbridge Park (702).
Tips for customers
· Please stay at least 8 metres from fallen power lines. Call Endeavour Energy on 131 003 to report.
· Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
· Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
· Be careful of trees that have been damaged by fire as they are likely to be more unstable.
· Check estimated restoration times by:
o entering your suburb into the power outage application at www.endeavourenergy.com.au/outages
o downloading the free Endeavour Energy outage app from the App Store or Google Play store.
· People who need power for home medical equipment should check their battery supply and consider acting on their back up plan.
See http://bit.ly/EEoutages for outage information and safety tips.
The next update will be at 10:30pm.