POWER UPDATE – winds to increase – 21,000 homes without power in Hawkesbury, Blue Mountains
Buckle up as winds expected to increase – 21,000 homes currently without power in Hawkesbury, Blue Mountains, and some may not get power back tonight
Endeavour Energy 3.30pm update
As today’s strong winds persist, Endeavour Energy emergency crews are now working to restore power to over 51,000 homes and businesses.
Some 21,000 affected homes are in parts of the Hawkesbury, Blue Mountains and parts of Greater Western Sydney.
The hardest hit areas are the South Coast, Southern Highlands and Illawarra where there are 30,000 customers currently without power.
A southerly change is expected to hit the South Coast between 4-6pm and Western Sydney by 7pm. This change will see winds between 70-90 kilometres per hour that are likely to cause further network damage.
Endeavour Energy say they would like to thank those customers currently without power and appreciate their patience as work continues to safely restore their supply.
"We are asking customers to please make plans according to their family circumstances as conditions worsen this afternoon," said a spokesman.
"It is expected that some customers will be without power overnight, particularly in outlying areas away from major population centres."
Endeavour Energy’s current focus is to patrol and make safe the extensive damage caused by branches hitting powerlines, says the spokesman.
In total, the wind today has caused over 460 electrical hazards on the network across a broad area.
Tips for customers
· Please stay at least 8 metres from fallen powerlines. Call us on 131 003 to report.
· Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
· Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
· Be careful of trees that have been damaged by fire as they are likely to be more unstable.
· Report outages online at www.endeavourenergy.com.au/powerupdates.
· Check estimated restoration times by:
o entering your suburb into the power outage application at www.endeavourenergy.com.au/outages
o downloading the free Endeavour Energy outage app from the App Store or Google Play store.
· People who need power for home medical equipment should check their battery supply and consider acting on their back up plan.
See http://bit.ly/EEoutages for outage information and safety tips