Power may be cut soon below Windsor – Endeavour Energy
As flood waters continue to rise throughout today, Endeavour Energy have just said now - 12.30pm – they may need to cut power in areas along the Hawkesbury River below Windsor.
“This is an important public safety measure to keep everyone safe,” said a spokesperson.
“Customers in these areas should take steps now to prepare for extended periods without power. Charge your mobile phone, pack your recharger and prepare your evacuation kit if you have not already done so.”
Power has already been cut to around 400 properties in Pitt Town North, Cornwallis, North Richmond, Freemans Reach and Agnes Banks where evacuation orders have already been issued.
The power cuts are necessary to keep customers and emergency service workers safe during the evacuation.
Endeavour Energy says it is working with state and local emergency management authorities to keep people safe from rising flood waters along the Nepean, Hawkesbury, Colo and Parramatta Rivers.
This includes coordinating flood response with the SES in areas where evacuations have taken place or are due to take place.
There are also is 2000 homes and businesses without power due to storm damage in pockets of Western Sydney, the Blue Mountains and Southern Highlands.
We’ll bring you more as we get it…
Electrical safety during floods
Before the flood
When a flood warning is issued:
· remove or relocate electric pumps and portable appliances away from estimated flood heights
· check that you have a working torch, keep your mobile phone charged and add a battery-operated radio to your evacuation kit
· know the location of the main switch in your meter box
· switch off electricity to non-essential circuits before they are submerged in rising floodwaters.
If you are asked to evacuate by emergency services:
· switch off all appliances in your home
· cut off all electricity to your household by turning off the main switch or removing fuses at the main switchboard. This is required even if you have been advised that all power has been cut off to your area.
Moving through a flooded area
Treat all power lines as ALIVE and DANGEROUS:
· keep at least 8 metres clear from all power lines. Be aware of low hanging or submerged power lines, powerlines on the ground, dangling in flood water or tangled in trees.
· do not drive across fallen power lines
· look up and be aware of reduced distances between your boat and overhead power lines in flooded rivers.
After and during a flood
When returning home, Endeavour Energy must inspect the main switchboard and meters of areas that have been flooded before power is restored. Until that happens:
· do not use electrical appliances which have been in floodwaters
· do not handle any wet electrical equipment
· do not replace circuit fuses or restore power to a household which has been flooded until your home has thoroughly dried out and been checked by a licensed electrician.
As you're here...
Please help us continue to provide quality daily online news as it happens. Support Hawkesbury Post from as little as one dollar, right here.