• Tony Bosworth

Federal and state flood recovery assistance for the Hawkesbury – how much and where and how to claim

We reported yesterday on the Hawkesbury being eventually officially declared a Disaster Area, and now here are finer details about how to claim and who is eligible.

The Federal government has activated the Disaster Recovery Payment and the Disaster Recovery Allowance.

The Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off, non-means tested payment of $1000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child, and is available to eligible people in those affected LGAs who have suffered a significant loss, including a severely damaged or destroyed home or serious injury.

The Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) assists employees and sole traders who experience a loss of income as a direct result of a major disaster. DRA is payable for a maximum of 13 weeks and is taxable.

Centrelink debt raising and new debt recovery has been paused.

Residents can check their eligibility for the Disaster Recovery Payment and the Disaster Recovery Allowance on the Services Australia website, before lodging a claim for assistance.

The easiest and quickest way to claim the Disaster Recovery Payment and Disaster Recovery Allowance is online through myGov.

If you require support to claim, call the Australian Government Emergency Information Line on 180 22 66.

People who have more immediate priorities have 6 months to claim payments.

Mobile Service Centres are also being put in place, though so far they have only been set-up in northern NSW and Queensland.

For more information on support available, visit servicesaustralia.gov.au/disaster

If you are already a Hawkesbury Post supporter, thank you! Our site is free, relying on our supporters to operate. Independent journalism is more important than ever, please consider contributing.

Click here to see how

Don't pay so you can read it. Pay so everybody can read it!

1,331 views0 comments