COVID by the numbers – Wednesday – 85.7% of Hawkesbury residents now fully vaxxed - no new cases
Welcome to Wednesday evening and the latest in-depth Hawkesbury numbers and COVID local news – the numbers are up to 8pm on Tuesday night.
This is the most up-to-date round-up of Hawkesbury COVID numbers you can get, compiled by numbers guru Kevin Pollard using NSW Health datasets.
Our thanks, as always, to Kevin for putting the numbers together in this easily accessible format.
Coupled with our regular news updates when we hear about new COVID venues, this builds into a useful daily source of information for Hawkesbury residents.
* Zero new COVID cases in the Hawkesbury recorded in the last 24 hours.
* There are 25 active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury (was 21 yesterday), despite zero new cases in the last 24 hours in the Hawkesbury.
* Yesterday NSW was reporting 4158 active cases. Today the number is 5440, a jump of 1282. So, what’s going on?
* It’s all about how NSW Health calculates the numbers, and they keep changing their mind how to present them.
* Back on Friday, September 10, NSW Health dropped their total active cases in NSW from 27,997, to 14,048 - a drop of 13,949 cases in 1 day. That meant the active cases in each NSW LGA and NSW postcode were approximately halved. It happened because active cases were judged to be 28 days on September 9, but dropped to 10 days on September 10, but now NSW Health has changed it again, and active cases are 14 days.
* NSW Health’s latest explanation: “Active COVID cases are defined as people who have tested positive for COVID, are in isolation and are being clinically monitored by NSW Health. Cases are considered active for 14 days after their symptom onset date.”
* Of the 283 new NSW cases (was 273 yesterday) reported to 8pm, Tuesday, October 19 - 13 are from Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District, which includes the Hawkesbury.
* In the Nepean Blue Mountains LHD, there were 27 cases yesterday, 10, 6, 4, 20, 24, 20, 15, 23, 20, 41, 35, 20, 33, 28, 15, 42 on previous days.
* There were 88,664 COVID tests across NSW reported to 8pm last night, compared with the previous days: 90,597, 60,273, 69,107, 66,311, 85,000, 85,133, 88,988, 83,948, 86,155, 79,894, 103,388, 112,186 tests.
* Only 0.32% of today’s tests in NSW came back positive. It's the ninth day in a row in NSW where the positive rate was a low 0.40% to 0.48%. The highest was 1.21% positive on September 7 (1222 cases from 100,745 tests).
* 5.58 million of NSW's 8.2 million residents are now fully vaccinated, 72 of those fully vaccinated have died of the virus.
Total active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury - and postcodes they are in
* 18 in the 2756 postcode (Windsor, Sackville, Wilberforce, Bligh Park, Clarendon, Ebenezer, Mulgrave, Pitt Town, South Windsor, Freemans Reach, McGraths Hill, Upper Colo, Central Colo, Colo Heights, Lower Portland, Glossodia) - was 16 yesterday
* 4 in the 2753 postcode (Richmond, Richmond Lowlands, Londonderry, Grose Vale, Grose Wold, Bowen Mountain, Hobartville, Yarramundi, Agnes Banks) - was 2 yesterday
* 3 in the 2758 postcode (Bilpin, East Kurrajong, Kurrajong, Kurrajong Heights, Kurrajong Hills, Mountain Lagoon, Wheeny Creek, Mount Tomah, Berambing, Blaxlands Ridge, Devils Wilderness) - was 3 yesterday
* 0 in the 2754 postcode (North Richmond, Tennyson, The Slopes) - was 0 yesterday
COVID deaths and hospital numbers – 7 deaths in the last 24 hours – none in the Hawkesbury
NSW Health is reporting the deaths of 7 people – 5 men and 2 women.
One person was in their 40s, one person was in their 50s, two people were in their 70s, and three people were in their 90s.
Two people were from the Wollongong area, two were from Sydney’s inner city, one was from south western Sydney, one was from the Maitland area and one person was from the Albury area.
Four people were not vaccinated, 1 person had received one dose of a COVID vaccine and 2 people were fully vaccinated.
Two men in their 90s died at the Tarrawana aged care facility, north of Wollongong, where they acquired their infections. They both had received two doses of a COVID vaccine.
A man in his 90s died at Mercy Place aged care facility in Albury where he acquired his infection. He was not vaccinated. This is the first death linked to an outbreak at this facility.
A man in his 50s from Sydney’s inner city died at home. He tested positive to COVID following his death. He had received one dose of a COVID vaccine.
A man in his 40s from the Maitland area died at Maitland Hospital. He was not vaccinated.
There have been 488 COVID-related deaths in NSW since this Delta outbreak started on June 16.
At least 42 of the 488 have died at home and of those, 24 didn't know they had COVID at the time of death.
At least 72 of the 481 COVID-19 related deaths in NSW since 16 June 2021 were those that were fully vaccinated.
The 72 deaths among people fully vaccinated were 3 people in their 50s, 4 people in their 60s, 23 people in their 70s, 23 people in their 80s and 19 people in their 90s.
The large majority of those fully vaccinated who died of COVID have had underlying health issues, over half had significant health issues, almost a quarter were in palliative care, some had disabilities.
There are 552 patients with COVID (was 589 yesterday) in hospital, with 124 (128 yesterday) people in ICU, 66 (69 yesterday) of whom require ventilation.
There have been 66,384 locally acquired cases reported since 16 June 2021, when the first case in this outbreak was reported.
Vaccinated numbers - in NSW, by the end of today, October 20
16 years and over: 82.9% fully vaccinated and 92.8% first dose.
12-15 year olds: 42.6% fully vaccinated and 76.4% first dose.
16-19 year olds: 69.8% fully vaccinated and 86.9% first dose.
All 8.2 million NSW residents (aged 0 and over): 67.9% fully vaccinated and 78.0% first dose.
All 25.9 million Australian residents (aged 0 and over): 57.2% fully vaccinated and 71.8% first dose.
Nepean Blue Mountains LHD vaccination rates by the end of October 20 (aged 16 and over)
* Blue Mountains LGA leads the region's vaccination rate at: 85.8% fully vaccinated and 95.7% first dose.
* Hawkesbury LGA is running a close second: 85.7% fully vaccinated and 95.1% first dose.
* Penrith LGA has 84.6% fully vaccinated and 94.1% first dose.
* Lithgow LGA has 80.0% fully vaccinated and 89.9% first dose.
NSW COVID vaccination status (of cases during Delta outbreak from June 16 until October 19)
Based on NSW Health Surveillance Reports to September 25 and cases since.
488 COVID deaths: 67.8% not vaccinated (330 people), 17.7% had received 1 dose (86 people), 14.5% fully vaccinated (72 people)
1117 in ICU: 83.8% not vaccinated, 11.4% had received 1 dose, 4.8% were fully vaccinated
8375 hospitalised: 79.9% not vaccinated, 11.4% had received 1 dose, 8.7% were fully vaccinated
66,384 cases: 77.4% not vaccinated, 13.7% had received 1 dose, 8.9% were fully vaccinated
Big thanks to Kevin Pollard for crunching the numbers and getting the news.
Our source information - link to NSW Health figures:
If you are already a Hawkesbury Post supporter, thank you! Our site is free, relying on our supporters to operate. Independent journalism is more important than ever, please consider contributing.
Don't pay so you can read it. Pay so everybody can read it!