COVID by the numbers Wednesday – 2 new Hawkesbury cases – Richmond High closed due to COVID case
Welcome to Wednesday evening and our in-depth Hawkesbury numbers and COVID local news.
This round-up of Hawkesbury COVID numbers is compiled by numbers guru Kevin Pollard using NSW Health datasets, and is up to 8pm on Tuesday evening.
Our thanks to Kevin for putting the numbers together and compiling the news snippets in this easily accessible format.
Coupled with our regular news updates when we hear about new COVID venues, this builds into a useful daily source of information for Hawkesbury residents.
* 2 new Hawkesbury COVID cases recorded in the last 24 hours – both linked to current cases.
* Richmond High School is temporarily closed from today after a COVID case at the school. HSC exams go ahead as scheduled.
* There have been at least 295 temporary school closures due to COVID in NSW since the beginning of Term 4 on October 5 (today is the 27th school day).
* There are 12 active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury (was 13 yesterday)
* There are 73 active cases (was 79 yesterday) in the Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District, which includes the Hawkesbury.
* There are 2762 active COVID cases (was 2817 yesterday) in NSW.
* Of the 216 new NSW cases (224, 187, 244 cases on previous days) reported to 8pm, Tuesday, November 9 - five are from Nepean Blue Mountains LHD.
* In the Nepean Blue Mountains LHD, there were 4 cases yesterday, 3, 3, 6, 3, 14, 15, 3, 8, 3, 6, 13, 11, 9, 5, 9 on previous days.
* There were 95,804 COVID-19 tests reported to 8pm last night, compared with the previous days of 66,680, 52,939, 70,276, 72,350, 80,581, 94,661, 114,303 tests.
* 93 of today's 216 cases were in Sydney. Outside of Sydney, 46 are from Hunter New England LHD, 14 are from Mid North Coast LHD, 12 are from Murrumbidgee LHD and 6 are from Southern NSW LHD.
* Most of the new cases reported today are linked to the October 30 funeral in Minchinbury and the wake in Llandilo on the same day. There are at least 11 COVID cases now linked to both events.
* Llandilo is the 2747 postcode (Caddens) and borders the 2753 postcode (Richmond), the 2749 postcode (Cranebrook) and the 2765 postcode (Marsden Park) in the Blacktown LGA. All have seen an increased number of cases in the last 9 days.
* ATAGI will wait 4-5 weeks on safety data from the US before giving the go-ahead for the jab in 5- to 11-year-olds, with Australian experts stressing risks to unvaccinated children in schools are low.
* But with moderate caseloads and high rates of vaccination coverage of those aged 12 and over, Australia will wait to see how the vaccine plays out in reality before approving the Pfizer shot for children.
* 320,000 children ages 5 through 11 have received their first dose of the Pfizer Covid vaccine in the US, Centre for Disease Control (CDC) data shows.
* Australia’s medicines regulator, the TGA, has sought additional information from Pfizer after an investigation by the British Medical Journal alleged serious issues with a small number of Pfizer’s vaccine safety trials, including claims of “falsified data, unblinded patients, employing inadequately trained vaccinators and slowness following up on adverse reactions”.
* Workers compensation claims are expected to rise as COVID restrictions ease and borders reopen, leaving businesses open to being sued by staff if they get sick at work with coronavirus because their employer was at fault, either deliberately or through negligence. In Australia, since the pandemic began there have been 3000 COVID-related workers compensation claims.
* Unvaccinated NRL and A League players are running out of options, with those who haven't had a COVID-19 jab banned from playing at Queensland stadiums. Victoria could soon follow.
* Meanwhile, Russia reports 1211 new coronavirus deaths, the Ukraine reports 833 new coronavirus deaths and Bulgaria (the EU's least vaccinated country at 22.8% fully vaxxed (16+) with Russia's Sputnik vaccine) reports 334 new coronavirus deaths - all the biggest one-day increases on record.
* Bulgaria has the second highest COVID death toll per population in the world (behind Peru) with 25,408 recorded COVID deaths in a country of 6.8 million.
* There have been 46,220 'excess' deaths in Bulgaria during the pandemic, the highest per population in the world with at least half of those likely being COVID deaths, bringing the estimated COVID death toll in Bulgaria to approx 48,000 or approx 1 of 142 Bulgarians dying of COVID.
* The highest per population COVID death toll in the world, taking into consideration excess deaths, is Peru with approx 1 of 112 Peruvians dying of COVID. 1 of 13,940 Australians have died of COVID.
* NSW Health said at least 11 COVID transmissions (of fully vaccinated patrons) have been linked with Barry's Bootcamp gym outlets at Kings Cross, Surry Hills and Martin Place (exposure period is between October 30 and November 4). This comes two weeks after 17 cases of fully vaccinated patrons were linked to City Gym Darlinghurst.
* Victoria has recorded 1003 new COVID cases, plus 14 deaths after 1069 cases yesterday. There have been 331 COVID deaths in Victoria over the last 35 days
New COVID cases in the Hawkesbury by postcode
* 2 in the 2753 postcode (Richmond, Richmond Lowlands, Londonderry, Grose Vale, Grose Wold, Bowen Mountain, Hobartville, Yarramundi, Agnes Banks)
Total active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury - and postcodes they are in
* 5 in the 2756 postcode (Windsor, Sackville, Wilberforce, Bligh Park, Clarendon, Ebenezer, Mulgrave, Pitt Town, South Windsor, Freemans Reach, McGraths Hill, Upper Colo, Central Colo, Colo Heights, Lower Portland, Glossodia) - was 8 yesterday
* 4 in the 2753 postcode (Richmond, Londonderry, Grose Vale, etc) - was 2 yesterday
* 3 in the 2758 postcode (Bilpin, East Kurrajong, Kurrajong, Kurrajong Heights, Kurrajong Hills, Mountain Lagoon, Wheeny Creek, Mount Tomah, Berambing, Blaxlands Ridge, Devils Wilderness) - was 3 yesterday
* 0 in the 2754 postcode (North Richmond, Tennyson, The Slopes) - was 0 yesterday
COVID deaths and hospital numbers – 3 deaths in the last 24 hours – none in the Hawkesbury
NSW Health is today reporting the deaths of 3 men with COVID.
A man in his 30s from south-western Sydney died at RPA Hospital. He was not vaccinated & had underlying health conditions.
A man in his 40s from south-western Sydney died at Liverpool Hospital. He was not vaccinated & had no significant underlying health conditions.
A man in his 80s from south-western Sydney died at RPA Hospital. He had received one dose of a COVID vaccine and had underlying health conditions.
There have been 553 COVID-related deaths in NSW since this Delta outbreak started on June 16.
At least 42 of the 553 have died at home, and of those 24 didn't know they had COVID at the time of death.
At least 88 of the 553 COVID-related deaths in NSW since June 16 were people who were fully vaccinated.
The 88 deaths among people fully vaccinated were 4 people in their 50s, 5 people in their 60s, 27 people in their 70s, 28 people in their 80s, 23 people in their 90s and 1 person in their 100s.
The large majority of the people that were fully vaccinated and died of Covid had underlying health issues, over half had significant health issues, almost a quarter were in palliative care, many were elderly and in aged care facilities, some had disabilities.
6.25 million of NSW's 8.2 million residents are fully vaccinated, and 88 of those fully vaccinated have died of the virus.
There are 235 patients with COVID (was 254 yesterday) in hospital, with 41 (42 yesterday) in ICU, 17 (20 yesterday) of whom require ventilation.
Of those 41 in ICU: 28 aren't vaccinated, 7 have received 1 dose and 6 are fully vaccinated.
There have been 71,556 locally acquired cases reported since June 16, when the first case in this outbreak was reported.
Vaccinated numbers - in NSW, by the end of today, November 10
16 years and over: 90.3% fully vaccinated and 94.01% first dose.
12-15 year olds: 71.8% fully vaccinated and 80.4% first dose.
16-19 year olds: 79.7% fully vaccinated and 90.4% first dose.
All 8.2 million NSW residents (aged 0 and over): 76.1% fully vaccinated and 81.5% first dose.
All 25.9 million Australian residents (aged 0 and over): 67.9% fully vaccinated and 75.5% first dose.
NSW COVID vaccination status (of cases during Delta outbreak from June 16 until November 9)
Based on NSW Health Surveillance Reports to October 16, and cases since.
553 COVID deaths: 64.9% not vaccinated (359 people), 19.2% had received 1 dose (106 people), 15.9% were fully vaccinated (88 people).
1309 in ICU: 85.6% not vaccinated, 7.8% had received 1 dose, 4.5% were fully vaccinated
11,842 hospitalised: 85.6% not vaccinated, 8.2% had received 1 dose, 6.5% were fully vaccinated
71,556 cases: 77.9% not vaccinated, 13.3% had received 1 dose, 8.8% were fully vaccinated.
Big thanks to Kevin Pollard for crunching the numbers.
Our source information - link to NSW Health figures:
If you are already a Hawkesbury Post supporter, thank you! Our site is free, relying on our supporters to operate. Independent journalism is more important than ever, please consider contributing.
Don't pay so you can read it. Pay so everybody can read it!