COVID by the numbers – Tuesday – 2 more deaths linked to Hawkesbury Living – plus 3 new local cases
Welcome to Tuesday afternoon and the latest in-depth Hawkesbury numbers and COVID local news – the numbers are up to 8pm on Monday night.
This is the most up-to-date round-up of Hawkesbury COVID numbers you can get, compiled by numbers guru Kevin Pollard using NSW Health datasets.
Our thanks, as always, to Kevin for putting the numbers together in this easily accessible format.
Coupled with our regular news updates when we hear about new COVID venues, this builds into a useful daily source of information for Hawkesbury residents.
* Sadly, two deaths in the last 24 hours linked to Hawkesbury Living aged care home bringing the total number of COVID deaths at the centre in Richmond’s March Street to 7 since this outbreak began in June.
* One was a man in his 80s who died at Campbelltown Hospital. He was a resident of Hawkesbury Living, where he acquired his infection, said NSW Health this morning. He had received two doses of a COVID-vaccine and had underlying health conditions.
* A woman in her 80s died at Hawkesbury Living, where she acquired her infection. She had received two doses of a COVID-vaccine and had underlying health conditions.
* 3 new COVID cases in the Hawkesbury, 1 of which is from an unknown source and not linked.
* There are 17 active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury (was 17 yesterday).
* Hawkesbury vaccination rate (16 years and over): 78.9% fully vaccinated and 93.9% first dose.
* NSW will reach 80% fully vaccinated (those 16 and over) by Saturday, October 16 with more restrictions lifted the following Monday, October 18.
* Of the 360 local cases (was 496 yesterday) reported to 8pm, Monday, October 11 - 15 are from Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District, which includes the Hawkesbury.
* There were 88,988 COVID tests reported to 8pm last night, compared with the previous day's: 83,948, 86,155, 79,894, 103,388, 112,186, 90,680, 85,642 tests.
* There are 292 active cases (was 320 yesterday) in the Nepean Blue Mountains LHD.
* There are 6308 active cases of COVID (was 6938 yesterday) in NSW.
* There have been 63,704 locally acquired cases reported since June 16, when the first case in this outbreak was reported.
As our schoolchildren start to go back – in the UK, a sharp rise in cases there, with 270,000 children infected in the week to October 2, after summer holidays.
English schools reopened in early September and recorded a jump in COVID-related student absences from 122,000 to 204,000 in two weeks.
Of those, 102,000 students in England had a confirmed case of coronavirus and 84,000 recorded a suspected case. The remaining 18,000 children were absent for other COVID reasons, including restrictions, or being in isolation.
There is an expectation by the end of the first quarter of 2022 in Australia Pfizer vaccinations will start to be offered to 5-to-11-year-olds.
Republican Texas Governor Greg Abbott, responding to what he called "bullying" by the Biden Administration, on Monday barred all COVID vaccine mandates in Texas by any entity, including private employers. The Governor of Texas is the Head of Government in that State. Facebook, Google and United Airlines employ large numbers in Texas and have imposed a vaccine mandate.
Texas, with a population of 29 million people – similar to Australia - has had 68,154 pandemic deaths due to COVID.
New COVID cases in the Hawkesbury by postcode
* 1 in the 2756 postcode (Windsor, Sackville, Wilberforce, Bligh Park, Clarendon, Ebenezer, Mulgrave, Pitt Town, South Windsor, Freemans Reach, McGraths Hill, Upper Colo, Central Colo, Colo Heights, Lower Portland, Glossodia)
* 1 in the 2754 postcode (North Richmond, Tennyson, The Slopes)
* 1 in the 2753 postcode (Richmond, Richmond Lowlands, Londonderry, Grose Vale, Grose Wold, Bowen Mountain, Hobartville, Yarramundi, Agnes Banks)
Total active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury - and postcodes they are in
* 8 in the 2756 postcode (Windsor, Sackville, Wilberforce, etc) - was 9 yesterday
* 4 in the 2753 postcode (Richmond, Londonderry, Grose Vale, etc) - was 4 yesterday
* 4 in the 2754 postcode (North Richmond, Tennyson, The Slopes) - was 3 yesterday
* 1 in the 2758 postcode (Bilpin, East Kurrajong, Kurrajong, Kurrajong Heights, Kurrajong Hills, Mountain Lagoon, Wheeny Creek, Mount Tomah, Berambing, Blaxlands Ridge, Devils Wilderness) - was 1 yesterday
COVID deaths and hospital numbers – 5 deaths in the last 24 hours – 2 from Hawkesbury Living aged care home
NSW Health is today reporting the deaths of 5 people with COVID-19 – 4 men and 1 woman.
1 person was in their 40s, 1 person was in their 50s, and 3 people were in their 80s.
3 people were from the Nepean Blue Mountains area, one was from western Sydney, and one was from south eastern Sydney.
3 people were not vaccinated and 2 people – those fro Hawkesbury Living - were fully vaccinated.
There have been 446 COVID-related deaths in NSW since this Delta outbreak started on June 16.
At least 40 of the 446 have died at home and of those, 22 didn't know they had COVID at the time of death.
At least 60 of the 446 COVID-related deaths in NSW since June 16 were fully vaccinated.
The 60 deaths among people fully vaccinated were 3 people in their 50s, 3 people in their 60s, 20 people in their 70s, 19 people in their 80s and 15 people in their 90s.
The large majority of the people that were fully vaccinated and died of COVID had underlying health issues, over half had significant health issues.
There are 766 people in hospital with COVID (was 769 yesterday), with 155 (153 yesterday) people in ICU, 74 (71 yesterday) of whom require ventilation.
Vaccinated numbers - in NSW, by the end of today, October 12
16 years and over: 76.2% fully vaccinated and 91.1% first dose.
12-15 year olds: 22.1% fully vaccinated and 72.2% first dose (ACT will pass 90% first dose late today)
All 8.2 million NSW residents (aged 0 and over): 60.9% fully vaccinated and 76.6% first dose.
All 25.9 million Australian residents (aged 0 and over): 52.3% fully vaccinated and 69.7% first dose.
NSW Covid vaccination status (of cases during Delta outbreak from June 16 until October 11, 2021).
Based on NSW Health Surveillance Reports to September 25 and cases since.
446 COVID deaths: 69.3% not vaccinated (309 people), 17.3% had received 1 dose (77 people), 13.4% were fully vaccinated (60 people)
1090 in ICU: 84.4% not vaccinated, 11.0% had received 1 dose, 4.6% were fully vaccinated
8342 hospitalised: 80.7% not vaccinated, 10.6% had received 1 dose, 8.7% were fully vaccinated
63,704 cases: 78.5% not vaccinated, 12.9% had received 1 dose, 8.6% were fully vaccinated
Approximately 15,300 of the 63,338 cases in NSW since June 16 were those aged 0-11 years who are not eligible for a vaccine, 12-15 year olds before their first vaccine was available on September 13 and 16-18 year olds before their first vaccine was available on August 14.
Big thanks to Kevin Pollard for crunching the numbers.
Our source information - link to NSW Health figures:
If you are already a Hawkesbury Post supporter, thank you! Our site is free, relying on our supporters to operate. Independent journalism is more important than ever, please consider contributing.
Don't pay so you can read it. Pay so everybody can read it!