COVID by the numbers Thurs – zero new Hawkesbury cases – vaxx side effects – Europe cases soar
Welcome to Friday evening and our in-depth Hawkesbury numbers and COVID local news.
This round-up of Hawkesbury COVID numbers is compiled by numbers guru Kevin Pollard using NSW Health datasets, and is up to 8pm on Thursday evening.
Our thanks to Kevin for putting the numbers together and compiling the news snippets in this easily accessible format.
Coupled with our regular news updates when we hear about new COVID venues, this builds into a useful daily source of information for Hawkesbury residents.
* Zero new COVID cases recorded in the Hawkesbury in the last 24 hours
* There are 13 active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury (was 13 yesterday)
* There are 103 active cases in the Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District, which includes the Hawkesbury.
* There are 3065 active COVID cases (was 3144 yesterday) in NSW.
* Of the 249 new NSW cases (308 & 190 cases on previous days) reported to 8pm, Thursday, November 4 – 3 are from Nepean Blue Mountains LHD.
* In the Nepean Blue Mountains LHD, there were 14 cases yesterday, 15, 3, 8, 3, 6, 13, 11, 9, 5, 9, 13, 6, 15 on previous days.
* There were 80,581 COVID-19 tests reported to 8pm last night, compared with the previous days of 94,661, 114,303, 58,988, 62,857, 75,378 & 77,271 tests.
* 85 of today’s 249 new NSW cases were in Sydney. Outside of Sydney, 73 are from Hunter New England LHD, 29 are from Murrumbidgee LHD, 21 are from Mid North Coast LHD, 14 are from Illawarra Shoalhaven LHD.
* There have been at least 244 temporary school closures due to COVID in NSW since the beginning of Term 4 on October 5 (today is the 24th school day).
Australian vaccination side effects
To October 31, the Therapeutic Goods Association (TGA) has received:
* 253 reports of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart muscle) from 21.9 million doses of Pfizer
* 158 reports of TTS (Thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome) from 13.1 million doses of AstraZeneca
* 1411 reports (of those aged 12-18) of dizziness, chest pain, nausea, fainting and headache after vaccination with Pfizer & Moderna
* 9 deaths due to TTS after the first dose of AstraZeneca (the majority were aged 65+).
* Myocarditis is a very rare side effect of Pfizer and Moderna.
* Myocarditis is reported in about 1 in of every 100,000 people who receive Pfizer, although it's more common in young men and teenage boys after the second dose (3–7 cases per 100,000 doses).
Europe is facing a potentially devastating winter that could see 500,000 people die from COVID, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned.
WHO: Europe is 'once again the epicentre" of the COVID pandemic as cases soar across the continent (especially Russia, Ukraine, Germany, Greece, Poland, Holland, Belgium, Croatia, UK & Ireland).
Europe saw a 6% increase in new cases last week (1.8 million new cases), compared to the week before. The number of deaths rose 12% in the same period.
Germany reports 35,662 new COVID cases, the biggest one-day increase on record, and 140 new deaths (1249 deaths
on Dec 29, 2020 was the peak).
67% of the 84 million German population (aged 0-plus) are fully vaccinated. 66% of all Australia's population (0-plus) is fully vaccinated.
Meanwhile, New Zealand reports 163 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record. 102 of the 163 cases are unlinked. 7 of NZ's 28 COVID deaths have come since May 7, 2020.
Total active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury - and postcodes they are in
* 7 in the 2756 postcode (Windsor, Sackville, Wilberforce, Bligh Park, Clarendon, Ebenezer, Mulgrave, Pitt Town, South Windsor, Freemans Reach, McGraths Hill, Upper Colo, Central Colo, Colo Heights, Lower Portland, Glossodia) - was 7 yesterday
* 5 in the 2758 postcode (Bilpin, East Kurrajong, Kurrajong, Kurrajong Heights, Kurrajong Hills, Mountain Lagoon, Wheeny Creek, Mount Tomah, Berambing, Blaxlands Ridge, Devils Wilderness) - was 5 yesterday
* 1 in the 2753 postcode (Richmond, Richmond Lowlands, Londonderry, Grose Vale, Grose Wold, Bowen Mountain, Hobartville, Yarramundi, Agnes Banks) - was 1 yesterday
* 0 in the 2754 postcode (North Richmond, Tennyson, The Slopes) - was 0 yesterday
COVID deaths and hospital numbers – 3 deaths in the last 24 hours – none in the Hawkesbury
NSW Health is today reporting the deaths of 3 people.
A man in his 80s from Sydney’s inner-west died at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. He had received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
A woman in her 90s died at the Mercy Place aged care facility in Albury where she acquired her infection. She was fully vaccinated and is the sixth death linked to an outbreak at this facility.
A woman in her 80s died at the Southern Cross Care residential care facility in Albury. She had received one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
There have been 535 COVID-related deaths in NSW since this Delta outbreak started on June 16.
At least 42 of the 535 have died at home, and of those 24 didn't know they had COVID at the time of death.
At least 86 of the 535 COVID-related deaths in NSW since June 16 were fully vaccinated.
The 86 deaths among people fully vaccinated were 4 people in their 50s, 5 people in their 60s, 27 people in their 70s, 27 people in their 80s, 22 people in their 90s and 1 person in their 100s.
The large majority of the people that were fully vaccinated and died of COVID had underlying health issues, over half had significant health issues, almost a quarter were in palliative care, some had disabilities.
6.15 million of NSW's 8.2 million residents are fully vaccinated, 86 of those who were fully vaccinated have died of the virus.
There are 285 patients with COVID (was 302 yesterday) in hospital, with 61 (64 yesterday) in ICU, 28 (31 yesterday) of whom require ventilation.
There have been 70,452 locally acquired cases reported since June 16, when the first case in this outbreak was reported.
Vaccinated numbers - in NSW, by the end of today, November 5
16 years and over: 89.8% fully vaccinated and 93.87% first dose.
12-15 year olds: 69.3% fully vaccinated and 80.2% first dose.
16-19 year olds: 78.3% fully vaccinated and 90.2% first dose.
All 8.2 million NSW residents (aged 0 and over): 75.4% fully vaccinated and 81.0% first dose.
All 25.9 million Australian residents (aged 0 and over): 66.0% fully vaccinated and 75.0% first dose.
NSW COVID vaccination status (of cases during Delta outbreak from June 16 until November 4)
Based on NSW Health Surveillance Reports to October 16, and cases since.
535 COVID deaths: 65.0% were not vaccinated (348 people), 18.9% had received 1 dose (101 people), 16.1% were fully vaccinated (86 people).
1294 in ICU: 85.6% not vaccinated, 7.8% had received 1 dose, 4.5% were fully vaccinated
11,805 hospitalised: 85.6% not vaccinated, 8.2% had received 1 dose, 6.5% were fully vaccinated
70,452 cases: 77.9% not vaccinated, 13.3% had received 1 dose, 8.8% were fully vaccinated.
Big thanks to Kevin Pollard for crunching the numbers and compiling the news grabs.
Our source information - link to NSW Health figures:
If you are already a Hawkesbury Post supporter, thank you! Our site is free, relying on our supporters to operate. Independent journalism is more important than ever, please consider contributing.
Don't pay so you can read it. Pay so everybody can read it!