COVID by the numbers – 92 active Hawkesbury cases and 20 new – “we’re all going to get Omicron”
Hope your holidays are going well and not to put too much of a dampener on that – COVID cases continue to climb across the Hawkesbury.
Over the holiday period, our very committed numbers guru, Kevin Pollard, is still busy crunching the numbers and we’ll just give a brief overview with the headline figures today.
* 20 new Hawkesbury cases – 11 of them linked, so 9 with no known source.
* 92 active Hawkesbury cases in total.
* NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard says today, “Everybody in NSW and in Australia will get Omicron, at some point will get Omicron, we're all going to get Omicron, and if we're all going to get Omicron, the best way to face it is when we have full vaccination including our booster."
He added, “I would like everybody to think about whether or not you really need to call an ambulance, number one, and number 2, go to hospital because it may not be necessary.”
* Over 2000 NSW health staff are furloughed, so having to take time off either with COVID or in isolation because they have been in close contact with someone who has the virus.
* Over 400 people in Sydney were incorrectly told they had tested negative to COVID last night, when they were in fact positive. SydPath from St Vincent's Hospital were responsible for the testing and communication. This mean today's case numbers in NSW are 400 more than the 6394 reported.
* Most Hawkesbury test centres were either closed on Christmas day or closed early, so less tests than normal were carried out.
We’ll have an update a bit later on around that – which centres are open and the times.
* So, there were 6394 new NSW cases (6288 5612, 5715, 3753 cases on previous days) reported to 8pm, Saturday, December 25 – and 224 are from Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District which includes the Hawkesbury.
There are 458 people in hospital with COVID across NSW (was 388, 382, 347, 302, 284 on previous days), with 52 (52, 53, 45, 40, 39 on previous days) people in ICU - 15 (14, 12, 13, 12, 11 on previous days) of whom require ventilation.
No COVID deaths reported in the last 24 hours.
New Hawkesbury COVID cases in last 24 hours and the postcodes they are in:
* 12 in the 2756 postcode (Windsor, Sackville, Wilberforce, Bligh Park, Clarendon, Ebenezer, Mulgrave, Pitt Town, South Windsor, Freemans Reach, McGraths Hill, Upper Colo, Central Colo, Colo Heights, Lower Portland, Glossodia)
* 4 in the 2753 postcode (Richmond, Richmond Lowlands, Londonderry, Grose Vale, Grose Wold, Bowen Mountain, Hobartville, Yarramundi, Agnes Banks)
* 3 in the 2754 postcode (North Richmond, Tennyson, The Slopes)
* 1 in the 2758 postcode (Bilpin, East Kurrajong, Kurrajong, Kurrajong Heights, Kurrajong Hills, Mountain Lagoon, Wheeny Creek, Mount Tomah, Berambing, Blaxlands Ridge, Devils Wilderness)
Total active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury as of 8pm December 25 - and postcodes they are in
* 51 in the 2756 postcode (Windsor, Sackville, Wilberforce, etc) - was 40 yesterday
* 20 in the 2753 postcode (Richmond, Londonderry, Grose Vale, etc) - was 17 yesterday
* 12 in the 2758 postcode (Bilpin, East Kurrajong, etc) - was 11 yesterday
* 7 in the 2754 postcode (North Richmond, Tennyson, The Slopes) - was 4 yesterday
* 2 in the 2757 postcode (Kurmond) - was 2 yesterday
* 1 in the 2775 postcode (Lower Macdonald, St Albans) - was 1 yesterday
Big thanks to Kevin Pollard for crunching the numbers.
Our source information - link to NSW Health figures:
If you are already a Hawkesbury Post supporter, thank you! Our site is free, relying on our supporters to operate. Independent journalism is more important than ever, please consider contributing.
Don't pay so you can read it. Pay so everybody can read it!