COVID by the numbers – 4 new and 28 active Hawkesbury cases - NSW hospitalisations up 64% in 6 days
Welcome to Monday evening and our round-up of the last 24-hours of COVID stats for the Hawkesbury.
We produce this report for those of our readers who are interested in the ongoing situation in our own backyard. If you don’t agree with these regular factual reports for whatever reason, please scroll on by.
The last round-up we did was back on Thursday when there were 11 active Hawkesbury cases.
Today there are 28 active cases of COVID in the Hawkesbury.
Tomorrow or Wednesday, PM Scott Morrison will be chairing a meeting of the National Cabinet as cases continue to climb extremely quickly, particularly in NSW. The group was not due to meet until February.
Hospitalisations are growing across NSW – they are up 64% from 6 days ago - but so far the total numbers are still relatively small.
Our numbers guru – Kevin Pollard – has been through the latest figures.
Thanks to Kevin for all his great work here.
* 4 new Hawkesbury COVID cases recorded in the last 24 hours - 2 are linked, 2 are not.
* 28 active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury (was 25 yesterday).
* Across NSW, 26 of the 33 people in ICU today haven't received their first vaccine dose.
* The NSW government has stopped reporting specifically on new daily Omicron cases and with hospital rates 64% up from six days ago and NSW Health saying most of the recent cases are Omicron, they are yet to inform the public about how many people in the state are in hospital with Omicron.
* Across NSW, 166 in hospital six days ago to 261 today (64% rise) - 21 in ICU seven days ago to 33 today (64% rise) - 7 on ventilators six days ago to 11 today (64% rise) - 150 local cases 22 days ago to 2566 cases yesterday (17 times higher).
* There have been 14,204 COVID cases in NSW in the past 8 days or 14.8% of the total in NSW during the 23 month pandemic.
New COVID cases in the Hawkesbury - and postcodes they are in [last 24 hours]
* 2 in the 2753 postcode (Richmond, Richmond Lowlands, Londonderry, Grose Vale, Grose Wold, Bowen Mountain, Hobartville, Yarramundi, Agnes Banks)
* 1 in the 2756 postcode (Windsor, Sackville, Wilberforce, Bligh Park, Clarendon, Ebenezer, Mulgrave, Pitt Town, South Windsor, Freemans Reach, McGraths Hill, Upper Colo, Central Colo, Colo Heights, Lower Portland, Glossodia)
* 1 in the 2775 postcode (Lower Macdonald, St Albans)
Total active COVID cases in the Hawkesbury as of 8pm December 19 - and postcodes they are in
* 14 in the 2756 postcode (Windsor, Sackville, Wilberforce, etc) - was 13 yesterday
* 7 in the 2758 postcode (Bilpin, East Kurrajong, Kurrajong, Kurrajong Heights, Kurrajong Hills, Mountain Lagoon, Wheeny Creek, Mount Tomah, Berambing, Blaxlands Ridge, Devils Wilderness) - was 7 yesterday
* 7 in the 2753 postcode (Richmond, Londonderry, Grose Vale, etc) - was 5 yesterday
* 1 in the 2775 postcode (Lower Macdonald, St Albans) - was 0 yesterday
There are 16,225 active cases (was 14,050 yesterday) in NSW.
COVID deaths and hospital numbers – no deaths in the last 24 hours
104 of the 591 COVID-related deaths in NSW since 16 June 2021 were those that were fully vaccinated - so the vast number of deaths were of people who had either no vaccination or one dose of a vaccine.
The 104 deaths among people fully vaccinated were 5 people in their 50s, 6 people in their 60s, 31 people in their 70s, 34 people in their 80s, 27 people in their 90s and 1 person in their 100s.
One person in their 80s and one person in their 90s had received their booster shot.
The large majority of the people that were fully vaccinated and died of COVID had underlying health issues, over half had significant health issues, almost a quarter were in palliative care, many were elderly and in aged care facilities, some had disabilities.
There are currently 261 people with COVID (was 227, 206, 215, 192, 166 on previous days) in hospital, with 33 (28, 26, 24, 26, 24 on previous days) people in ICU, 11 (10, 9, 8, 7, 9 on previous days) of whom require ventilation.
There have been 94,057 locally acquired cases reported since 16 June 2021, when the first case in this outbreak was reported.
Vaccinated numbers - in NSW, by the end of today, December 20
16 years and over: 93.46% fully vaccinated and 94.91% first dose.
12-15 year olds: 78.27% fully vaccinated and 81.58% first dose.
16-19 year olds: 83.9% fully vaccinated and 91.6% first dose.
All 8.2 million NSW residents (aged 0 and over): 80.5% fully vaccinated and 79.0% first dose.
All 25.67 million Australian residents (aged 0 and over): 76.23% fully vaccinated and 79.24% first dose.
Of all the 25.67 million Australian residents (aged 0 and over): 5.66% have had 3 jabs (was 5.62%, 5.49%, 4.94% and 4.33% on previous days).
Third jabs - 1,452,700 third (booster) doses have been administered in Australia. Third doses have slowed considerably today and yesterday after 6 days straight of very high numbers.
NSW COVID vaccination status (of cases during Delta outbreak from June 16 until December 19)
Based on NSW Health Surveillance Reports to November 27, and cases since.
591 COVID deaths: Not eligible for vaccination as aged 0-11 years (0), 63.4% not vaccinated (375 people), 19.0% had received 1 dose (112 people), 17.6% were fully vaccinated (104 people).
1599 in ICU: 0.9% not eligible for vaccination as aged 0-11 years, 85.6% not vaccinated, 7.8% had received 1 dose, 5.7% were fully vaccinated.
8123 hospitalised: 4.4% not eligible for vaccination as aged 0-11 years, 76.2% not vaccinated, 9.8% had received 1 dose, 9.6% were fully vaccinated.
94,057 cases: 20.1% not eligible for vaccination as aged 0-11 years, 58.6% not vaccinated, 10.1% had received 1 dose, 11.2% were fully vaccinated.
Big thanks to Kevin Pollard for crunching the numbers.
Our source information - link to NSW Health figures:
If you are already a Hawkesbury Post supporter, thank you! Our site is free, relying on our supporters to operate. Independent journalism is more important than ever, please consider contributing.
Don't pay so you can read it. Pay so everybody can read it!